-george bernard shaw
-george bernard shaw
staff members of the slovak and slovenian embassies meet once a month to exchange incorrectly addressed mail.
close enough, but alas, two very different places.
i should organize this with my neighbors.
‘i believe that the open exchange of information can have a positive global impact.”
credit: mental floss
i went to apply for
my professional recertification
from the state
board of education
every five years
whether it’s needed it or not
where i account for
my continuing education
my ongoing development
as a teacher
they had changed the system
without any notice
when they tried
to explain it to me
i was hopelessly confused
they sent me
the following emails
to clear it all up
could not even
begin to process
maybe it’s a test
i have no answers
i wish it was multiple choice
i need a translator
If you have been awarded State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECHs) since January 1, 2010, and they are not displayed on this page, you need to add your Personnel Identification Code (PIC) to your Secure Central Registry (SCR) account. You can locate your PIC number by clicking on Manage Demographics on the left navigation panel on this page. The PIC number is required to link your SCECH information in the SCR to your MOECS account. Once your PIC is in the SCR, any SCECHs earned through the SCR should appear in MOECS within 3-4 business days. To visit the Secure Central Registry (SCR) please go to http://solutionwhere.com/mi_sbceu/welcome.asp.
• The SCR started collecting SCECH data on January 1, 2010. If you were awarded State Board Continuing Education Units (SB-CEUs) prior to January 1, 2010, they are not available for viewing in MOECS, and you must add them. To add your SB-CEUs earned prior to January 1, 2010, select Add at the bottom of this screen and fill in the required information.
• For SB-CEUs awarded prior to January 1, 2010, you will need to maintain the paper record of your SB-CEUs for audit purposes. If your certificate is audited, you will be asked to send a copy of your official record of your SB-CEUs to the Michigan Department of Education, Office of Professional Preparation Services. If you feel that SCECHs awarded since January 1, 2010 are missing from the SCR, contact the sponsor of that SCECH program.
In order for the SB-CEUs (now known as SCECHs) that you have completed after January 1, 2010, and are listed in your Secure Central Registry (SCR) record, to import into your MOECS online certification record you must go into your demographics page on MOECS, copy the PIC number from your demographics page and then log into your record on the SCR and enter that same PIC number in your SCR record. Approximately 3-4 business days after you do that, all SCECHs that are listed in your SCR record will also be listed in your MOECS online certification record. This should allow you to log back into MOECS and apply for your renewal successfully.
The renewal of a Professional Education teaching certificate requires what equates to 150 clock hours by completing 6 semester hours (1 semester hour equals 25 clock hours) OR 150 SCECHs* (State Continuing Education Clock Hours) OR 150 Michigan district-provided professional development hours** (1 PD hour equals 1 clock hour) OR a combination of the two/three. The required credit hours, SCECHs or district-provided professional development hours must be completed after the issue date on your current Professional Education certificate and within five years preceding the date of application for the renewal.
Semester hour credit must be 6 credits in a planned program completed at a regionally accredited teacher preparation university/college in the United States OR 6 credits appropriate to the grade levels and content endorsement(s) on the certificate completed at any regionally accredited community college or 4-year university/college in the United States.
In regards to SCECHs, only Michigan SCECHs are acceptable. Regular CEU’s, professional development hours, contact hours, clock hours, etc. are not acceptable towards renewal (unless you have requested, and been granted approval, that these type credits be converted to Michigan SCECH hours via a request to your district SCECH Sponsor made 45 days prior to the activity).
For non-traditional SCECH activities; i.e., Supervising a Mentor Teacher, Supervising a Student Teacher, Serving on a State Board-Appointed Advisory Board, arrangements must be made either prior to the activity or during the semester of the activity with your district SCECH Sponsor if you wish to earn SCECH for these activities.
In regards to district-provided PD hours, there is no longer a cap of 30 district-provided PD hours per school year that may be used towards certificate renewal. The cap was removed via a Waiver that was requested and approved by the Michigan Department of Education on June 20, 2014.
Semester hour credit may be taken an approved teacher preparation institution or any regionally accredited college/university in the United States. If you have an out-of-state college/university in mind, please check with our office to make sure that they are regionally accredited before committing to classes that you plan to use towards Professional Education certificate renewal credit.
Graduate or undergraduate level credit is acceptable. Semester hour credit is accepted from a community college as long as it is a regionally accredited community college in the United States.
University/college on-line courses are acceptable as long as they are education-related, the credit will be issued in semester hour credits, and the credit will be issued on a transcript from a regionally accredited university/college in the United States. Again, if you find an on-line course that you are interested in but do not know if they are regionally accredited, please contact our office.
On-line SCECH credit is acceptable as long as it is issued from a valid Michigan SCECH sponsor. For a list of valid Michigan SCECH sponsors and approved program offerings, please visit the SCECH website at: http://www.getmipd.com
Credit must be education-related and appropriate to the grade level and content endorsement(s) of your professional education certificate. Technology courses are acceptable. General education courses are also acceptable; i.e., classroom management, diversity in the classroom, bullying, etc.
Keep in mind that all coursework/SCECH credit/district-provided professional development hours must be completed and credit/hours awarded before your renewal application may be processed. Once all credit/hours have been awarded, application for renewal is made through the Michigan Department of Education online certification application website at http://www.michigan.gov/moecs You will now make application for your renewal online, pay (via a credit or debit card) online and also print off your renewed certificate from your home/office printer.
The soonest you may apply to renew a Professional Education certificate is January 1st of the year the certificate is due to expire.
Please do not submit any college/university transcripts, SCECH documentation, or district-provided professional development forms to our office at any time. You may hold on to this information for your records. Should you ever be audited by our office after renewal, we would request those documents from you at that time.
Now that application/payment/printing of your certificate is done online, there is 1 day processing time. However, again, all credit must be complete before you make application for your renewal. The renewal fee is $160.
*State Board Continuing Education Units (SB-CEU’s) are now known as State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECH’s)
**Must be completed while employed in a public/charter school district.
the regulatory systems in place disincentive innovation.
it’s intense to fight the red tape.
– travis kalanick
image credit: google images
i’ve been wondering.
greenland and iceland
mixed up in the naming process?
was the paperwork confusing?
did no one
catch the error until it was too late?
not have their glasses on?
was there a translation issue?
why did they not fix it ?
my theory is
that it would have been
too expensive and too much bother
to change all of the logos on the cocktail napkins
once they had already been printed.
image credits: dailyenglish.in.th
m: ‘i’m finished with class and just working, so let me know when you’re ready to go.’
me: ‘come now!!!! )))’
m: ‘coming out now.’
(i shut down my computer, pack up, walk upstairs, chit chat with colleagues, look out the door for m – my loyal carpool partner. who works in our high school, while i work in our kindergarten. we coordinate schedules each day. our buildings are one minute away from each other. we share a campus. we share rides to and from school. we share a friendship and a level of understanding each other, developed over hours spent together in a car, as willing captive audience members. i mill around. chit chat some more. visit two classrooms. look out window. more time passes. i check my phone to see if she got waylaid along the way.)
i look down and see this:
m: ‘you drove. right?’
yes, yes i did.
i head to my car,
(without further milling or chatting or texting),
it’s waiting in my parking lot,
right where i left it this morning,
to pick up m.
we make eye contact.
m gets in the car.
we realize that each of us was waiting to be picked up by the other.
it could have been a very long wait.
one did not.
we leave. we wind down from the day. we laugh.
one of us got confused today.
we don’t name names.
my morning spent chatting live with rahul at comcast online:
• Rahul > Hello Beth_, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is Rahul. Please give me one moment to review your information.
• Beth_ > My Issue: i cannot sign in to pay my bill using my usual user id and password. please advise.
• Rahul > Hi Beth , how are you doing today?
• Rahul > As I understand you need help with log in information to the Comcast account to pay the bill, am I correct?
• Beth_ > yes
• Rahul > Alright.
• Rahul > I can definitely help you with log in information request.
• Rahul > I understand online account management is most convenient and safe mode to pay bills.
• Beth_ > thank you
• Rahul > You are welcome.
• Rahul > For account security, can I ask you few questions?
• Beth_ > yes
• Rahul > Thank You!
• Rahul > Can I know username with which you are trying to log in ?
• Beth_ > my usual email
• Rahul > Thank you for this detail.
• Rahul > Can I have last 4 digits of your social security number?
• Beth_ > ****
• Rahul > Thank you for that information.
• Rahul > While I search your account details, Let me tell you about our Xfinity GO app, You can watch thousands of XFINITY On Demand TV shows and movies anytime, anywhere, with XFINITY TV Go.
• Rahul > Thank you for being on hold.
• Rahul > Beth, as I have checked username associated with the Comcast account is : ====
• Rahul > I see you have Digital Voice service. In order to protect your account information online, We need to call you at (**********) and this would be way for verification. Once this is completed I will be able to reset your password. May I know are you available on your Comcast number?
• Beth_ > i’m just trying to pay my bill and i’ve always used my email with ‘*****’ as a password up until today
• Rahul > Thank you for specifying that.
• Rahul > I understand that you were able to log in with the third party email address, but now, the policy has been changed in order to secure all customers account.
• Rahul > In order to access your Comcast account, you need to log in with the Comcast user name.
• Rahul > May I know are you available on your Comcast number?
• Beth_ > okay. so do i use ‘****’ then and use ‘*****’ as my password?
• Beth_ > i’m available on my cell **********
• Rahul > Thank you for specifying that.
• Rahul > Beth, I apologize but we are only authorized to call on Comcast assigned home phone number.
• Rahul > Is there anyone else available at Comcast home phone number to take the verification call on your behalf?
• Beth_ > i do not have a home phone though i have been assigned a number by comcast. all i want to do is pay my bill. i really don’t want all this hassle. i may have to change providers so that it can be an easier process for me to give them my money.
• Rahul > I understand your concern.
• Rahul > Beth, I can assist you with the process of payment on the chat.
• Beth_ > and i won’t be able to pay online unless i add a home phone to go with that number you assigned me years ago for a phone i’ve never had?
• Rahul > Beth , as an alternate verification, we also require a 4 digit pin to complete the verification process.
• Beth_ > to verify that i am a customer and have been for years?
• Rahul > I can send you the pin via US postal services, you will receive the pin with in 2-4 working days, once you have the pin you can initiate a chat and with the help of pin we will be able to assist you with the Comcast account.
• Beth_ > all this just to pay my bill? to give you my money?
• Rahul > Beth, as you have Comcast phone services associated with the account, we need either to call on Comcast assigned home phone number or verify the security pin, without completing verification process the system will not allow to reset the password.
• Rahul > Beth, I have send you the pin via US postal services.
• Beth_ > so…if i don’t pay my bill, i’m assuming someone from comcast will be able to contact me on my cell phone number that i have provided you, instead of the nonexistent home phone for which i have a phantom comcast phone number or online through my comcast account? and it will be taken care of at that time, as they would want me to pay my bill?
• Rahul > Beth, I understand your concern.
• Rahul > I apologize for the inconvenience caused, but as per the FCC policy we will not be able to reset the password without the call on Comcast assigned home phone number or verifying the security pin.
• Rahul > However, I can assist you with the process of payment on the chat.
• Beth_ > i will await the call from comcast on my phantom phone and pay my bill at that time. does the fact that we are chatting on my comcast internet service to solve the comcast identity riddle, support the fact that i am indeed, a customer, and who i say i am? i’m really not trying to buy secret hbo streaming service on someone else’s account, i’m trying to give you money, as you have asked me to do as part of my cable contract.
• Rahul > Would you like to make the payment on the chat ?
• Beth_ > i will await my call on the phantom phone and if it rings i will be surprised as it does not exist, but would happily pay my bill. thank you for your time and service.
gâchis (French) – a good opportunity wasted by staggering levels of incompetence (from multiple sources) evidenced in its implementation.